Thursday, January 17, 2008

Three in Austin

Travel kept me away from the blog, but don't worry... I brought you something from my trip to Austin, Texas. No, it's not a t-shirt that says, my blogger went to Austin and all I got was this lousy t-shirt(although I know where you could find such a shirt). No, I bring you reviews! If you are going to Austin in the near future, or you are there right now, here are a few places for you to try.

For Breakfast or Brunch, I would recommend The Old Pecan St. Cafe. The service was excellent, although we may have had special treatment because we had our incredibly adorable twin babies with us and our server was a twin herself. The food was quite good. My turkey and spinach omelet may have seemed a run of the mill choice, especially next to the many crepes on the menu, but boy was I glad I ordered it. It came with terrific potatoes and a homemade sweet cake that was just Divine. Husband of Food had the French Toast and I think he was jealous of my meal.

For Lunch or Dinner you may want to stop for some tasty Texas dining at the Iron Works Barbecue. Man, was this meal good. Brisket, Chicken, Ribs, and of course barbecue sauce; accompanied by, to quote Friend of Food, "the sweetest potato salad I've ever had." Another Friend of Food tried to take a jar of the BBQ sauce home, but her sweet memory of Texas was confiscated at the airport. Don't worry, Friend of Food, the terrorists haven't won, you can order another at the Iron Works Website.
http://www.ironworksbbq.com/

For an evening of Fun, I will suggest something a little different. We had a great time at The Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. This theater is known for it's campy interactive movie shows. Now, what does a theater have to do with food? First of all, they have it, a full menu and wine and beer bar. We went to the Elvis Sing Along for Elvis' birthday and the special of the night was Fried Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches. The seats all have a bar in front of them where your food can rest and waiters quietly take orders written on slips of paper during the show. I wish I could get that kind of service at an Arclight! If you stop by the Drafthouse, also check out it's cool t-shirt making service in the lobby. It's a great place to get that "My Blogger Went to Austin..." T-shirt I didn't get you at the top.

The Old Pecan St. Cafe
310 East 6th Street
Austin Tx, 78701

Iron Works Barbecue
100 Red River
Austin, TX 78701

Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
320 E 6th Street
Austin, TX 78701

1 comment:

Son of Food said...

Daughter-in-law of Food (that would be my wife) has been to Iron Works Barbecue and brought me back some Iron Works Chili Powder--which is tasty stuff for a pre-mixed chili seasoning--and some nice smokey tasting Sting 'n' Linger habanero hot sauce, which is not made by Iron Works, but evidently they serve such things at this establishment. Sure enough, this fine product may be found at http://www.stingnlinger.com/

Bookmark This Site


Powered By Blogger