Sunday, July 12, 2009

My Attempt at the Most Dangerous Dessert


All week I had an urge to try my brother's recipe for his fruit tatin found here in this post: Mango Strawberry Upside Down Tart. We had some very ripe peaches about to turn bad and a box of plums following close behind, so this seemed like a perfect time to try this recipe out with the fruit on hand.

The carmelization process went beautifully. As you can see in the leading picture, deliciousness was sure to ensue. I made the crust ahead of time and got it atop the fruit mixture intact, and it baked beautifully in the pan.

The transfer process, the part that makes this the most dangerous dessert, didn't go as perfectly. Thank goodness for the part of the recipe that said "Toddlers out of the kitchen." My husband and I had to chant this over and over to keep the little ones out. We added a "Dogs out of the kitchen!" chant to the song, too. I wore plenty of protection, silicone gloves and my heavy apron, but I could still feel the heat of the molten sugars in the pan as I took it out of my 425 degree oven. I chose a heavy bowl just bigger than the pan to flip my dessert into, since we had none bigger, and it made me perhaps too cautious.

I ended up with a crumble, a crust, not on the bottom tart. A mush perhaps? Wait... I made a cobbler! Yeah, a cobbler. A pretty tasty cobbler, in fact. Why, that's what I was planning the whole time.



Thankfully, no dogs or children were harmed in the making of this dessert.

4 comments:

MandiCrocker said...

THAT LOOKS LIKE A DIVINE TART TA- ERRR, COBBLER. :) :) :)

Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine!!! ;)

Son of Food said...

At least you made it out alive!

daughteroffood said...

Just barely ; ) Thanks for the recipe.

Humma Kavula said...

I thought Man was the most dangerous dessert.

Maybe that was game. Hm.

On the other hand, say you eat a cheeseburger and then you want something sweet so you find a man and eat him. Man: the most dangerous dessert!

Bookmark This Site


Powered By Blogger