Friday, September 9, 2011

Cake Surprise


This is not a sad story, although, by the look of the picture above it should be.  I have a particularly good brioche recipe that I can make in my breadmaker.  It is light and slightly sweet with the texture of a fresh challah.  My kids love this rich white bread.  Unfortunately, I learned about one thing that can destroy a particularly good breadmaker brioche recipe; a pan or paddle that is not seated properly. When the paddle is not spinning properly, the ingredients do not mix well.  After digging through about two inches of flour at the bottom of the bread pan, I discovered what was left of my brioche. So, what do you get when you take half of the flour out of your brioche? 

Cake.  Surprise!  See, I told you it wasn't a sad story.  If there was a bit of lemon in the recipe, it would have been a perfect lemon cake, moist and buttery, very sweet.  I may try to make a cake in the breadmaker one day, but I have enough cake.  For now I want to try that brioche again.

Here is the Recipe for the bread.  You can try less flour for the cake if you want to recreate my accidental cake.


Breadmaker Brioche

3 1/4 Cups of All Purpose Flour
1/3 Cup of Sugar
1 tsp Salt
3 Large Eggs
1 Stick of Unsalted Butter - Melted and Cooled
1/2 Cup Water
1 TBSP Yeast

Add these ingredients to the breadmaker.  Mine works Dry ingredients first, but some machines use the wet ingredients first.  Make sure the paddle and pan are well seated in the breadmaker.  Set to Basic or White Bread and push start.  Hopefully you will get brioche, but if not, enjoy your cake.

1 comment:

Family of Food said...

Attempting a new brioche in the breadmaker. Added a little more water and checked the mixing as it started. No surprise cake this time - cross our fingers.

Bookmark This Site


Powered By Blogger